Présentations, questions et débats sur les loupes stéréo et macroscopes

de lemoine

Je cherche des conseils pour utiliser au mieux une loupe bino Wild M400
Je ne sais pas utiliser la partie "photo"
quelqu'un pourrait-il me renseigner?
merci

de G4Lab

Hello Pascal

This is my favorite subject. What kind of specimen are you viewing? What kind of lighting?

The translator said "I do not use the pciture mode" which I presume means you are only viewing things and not doing photography.

There is a knob on the M400 which must be set at 100% VIS. If you take a picture you can set it at 100%Phot or 50/50% if you need to observe something moving.

These are not stereoscopic since they have a mono objective. But there is some depth perception because they are so wide field that it is possible to get some depth cues. I prefer viewing through the M400 to most stereos because the image is bright, sharp and contrasty.

What is your specific question? Feel free to send me a Private Message if you wish. I fell in love with these scopes when they first came out and I had one in a lab I worked in in 1977. I now have several of them.

I have also serviced several of them for others.

Gene

de André

Bonjour à tous, Pascal
Pourrais-tu mettre une photo du matériel pour pouvoir apprécier le système de tube trino monté sur ton macroscope ?

de Daniel

Bonjour Pascal,
ne possèdant pas cet appareil, je suis moins bien placé qu'André ou Gene pour te conseiller sur son usage.
Par contre, comme membre du stéréo club fançais, je ne peux que renforcer la remarque qu'ils t'ont tous deux déja faite:
Gene a écrit que l'image aux oculaires n'est pas stéréoscopique. C'est en effet la mème image pour les 2 yeux et pour le tube photo.
André a bien désigné ton appareil, c'est un macroscope, pas un stéréomicroscope (donc pas une loupe binoculaire car cette expression est en général utilisée pour désigner les stéréomicroscopes simples.)

Je renvoie à l'article macroscope de Wikipedia pour cette différence.

C'est important au niveau de la perception des objets, mais aussi de la qualité d'image photographique: par l'usage du centre de l'objectif principal, elle sera supérieure avec ton appareil à ce qui peut être obtenu avec un stéréomicroscope de début de gamme.
Contrairement à Gene, en observation, je préfère de beaucoup l'image stéréoscopique des bons modèles de stéréomicroscopes (haut de gamme toutefois). Je les trouve aussi définies et contrastées que celle de macroscopes Wild.
Mais c'est pour la macrophoto de qualité avec un zoom que j'investirais éventuellement dans un M420.

As tu lu la page d'E.Savazzi sur la photo au M420?
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photograp ... a_m420.htm

de G4Lab

Although I am internet friend with Dr. Savazzi, and in every other case have great respect for his writings, in the case of M400 versus M420, in my opinion and extensive experience (with these models), he is incorrect. The M420 is the later model. It was the first one I purchased on ebay. The M420 has a fixed 50% prism. The M400 has that magic little knob, that allows selection between 100 % photographic and 100% visual. And since they were already going to the expense, they also included 50/50. Like the Nikon SMZ10, this is unique.

There is is no doubt in my mind, that the M420 was an "IMPROVEMENT" ,consisting of lower manufacturing cost! It is true, that the M400 was discontinued earlier, so there is the risk, associated with buying an older microscope. If you wish to buy an M420, I can sell you one. (I don't sell M400s except for very high prices)
There also was an M450 EpiMakroScop, which had the EpiZoom objective, which was essentially a MakroZoom, with a permanently attached 2x front element. It has, an accordingly smaller object field, and less working distance. The most desireable is the ApoZoom, which is six to one zoom and apochromatic correction. All these objectives have essentially zero distortion, and allow accurate measurements by photogrammetric techniques. This is what Wild was famous for, and the MakroScops were squarely aimed at the semiconductor industry.

You get plenty of depth cues from the makroscopes but if you are accustomed to a stereo you will definitely notice the difference. Nonetheless I have converted many gemologists to the use of the M400 and M420. They are accustomed to Greenough stereos which are often hyper stereoscopic. They all did mention the difference initially. And they all except one strongly prefer using the M400.

I have posted extensively on the subject at the www.gemologyonline.com/forum under the same ID handle. There is a joke there about "Gene's Army of Wild M400 Zombies" or just Wild Zombies because I do like their stereos just as much. (There are a few of similar quality Zeiss SV8 SV6/11 and Discovery Oly SZH, SZ10 SZX research series and a few others)

de lemoine

Merci pour les réponses que vous m'avez envoyé
En complément à la demande de André, je joins une photo de l'appareil.
Etant équipé pour de la photo argentique je pense que cet appareil est obsolète...
Puis-je tout de même l'équiper d'une webcam pour retransmettre sur mon PC ?
Fichiers joints
033 (480x640) (2) (375x500).jpg
033 (480x640) (2) (375x500).jpg (215.08 Kio) Vu 6270 fois

de André

Je pense qu'il faudra changer le tube comme proposé ici : http://www.lmscope.com/produkt22/Wild_m ... ount.shtml

de G4Lab

LM Scope makes very nice things, but they are quite expensive for the private individual.

There are at least two methods as alternate.

contact Tim Spauwen at Spauwen Research and Expertise. His website is http://www.WildMicro.com
He is redoing the website so it may not be up yet. His email is spauwe@hotmail.com
He will sell you a device specifically designed to adapt a crop frame (ie. non full frame) camera such as a Sony NEX6 to your M400
He is in the Netherlands.

There is also this item on ebay which the seller Mark Malkin is planning to make available regularly. He is someone who has been interested in M400s as long as I have and is quite expert about them and also about microscopy and macrography generally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

He is in the USA at Cornell University.

Finally it is possible to use one lens contained in the camera that came with your M400.
The long lens that is contained in the camera can be unscrewed from the front. It can then be screwed into a Wild 0.32x adapter
Hard to find and you will be bidding against me and the above two and also several dealers. You might entice the above two to trade one of their adapters (crop frame only) to trade for your Snoot Lens (as we call it.) But I recommend keeping it.

I am going to recommend to Tim that he manufacture an adaptation which allows the snoot lens to attach to a T-2 or M42 mount.

There is also a company in the USA that called Diagnostic Instruments. They sell adaptations for more microscopes than anybody else on the whole planet. They have done so for a long time.

They have several products to do the job. You would need to get one of their M400 clamps ($450!!) and a HR or HRD series coupler.
They also have C mount couplers. The coupler depends on the the size of the sensor. The clamp adapts to the microscope and the coupler to the camera. Their catalogs are very confusing and many products are discontinued. Other products are available but not in the catalog or website. However I can help you since I know more about their products than many of their newer employees.
They are also not inexpensive. But their products are world class. They are quietly sold by many big name companies in particular Zeiss has sold a lot of Diagnostic Instruments gear without really admitting it explicitly. If you know what to look for you see their gear in other catalogs too. A little less so now that things can be made more cheaply in the far east. DI products are built in the USA in Michigan.

http://webstore.diaginc.com/category-s/3.htm

I am always happy to help a new M400 owner. So is Tim Spauwen, and also, Mark Malkin. Feel free to send a private message.
Also tell the forum members here how you like your scope.

BTW, you have the 100 watt dark field base. Excellent for gemology(my interest). If you are only looking at opaque specimens, I would be happy to buy that base, and furnish an alternative.